The unthinkable happened a few nights ago…
It was supposed to be a carefree summer evening. My daughter and grandchildren were here, taking advantage of a seaside getaway before school starts. For me, it was a chance to spend plenty of time smiling and to take a break from the stress associated with writing my second book.
Everything was going according to plan. That is, until we went to sleep.
My daughter, Jemma, heard some strange noises coming from the bathroom in the middle of the night. Thinking it was me having a seizure, she opened up the bathroom door.
That’s when she was blown back by heat and smoke.
Suddenly, there was screaming and crying. The thick smoke made it impossible to breathe. All I can remember thinking was, “Where are the children? Where are the dogs? We have to get out!” Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion — except for the smoke.
Thankfully, everyone was safe, but completely traumatised. Turns out, we escaped just in time. According to the firemen, another five minutes, and our home would have exploded!
I’ll never be able to thank the firemen enough for being so kind to my grandchildren. They even let them ride on the fire engine when all was said and done! The same gratitude goes out to my neighbour who took us in right afterwards. There are no words to describe the support we’ve gotten since from friends and neighbours.
Until we can go back home, our temporary accommodations are “home” — and they’re definitely where my heart is! After all, it’s easy to take things for granted. But ever since the fire, I’ve felt grateful. Grateful to be alive, grateful that my family is safe and sound, grateful that my daughter was strong enough to take charge when I panicked, and grateful for the kindness that has followed.
I may not have my “stuff”, but I’ve got everything I need!